NYC SPECIAL INSPECTIONS
- Consulting with Manhattan-based AK Engineering is the first step in ensuring your New York City construction work is completed in compliance with the requisites as defined by the 2008 NYC Building Code, which requires Special Inspections be performed for all construction projects.
- Special Inspections, which have been mandatory for all construction jobs whose applications were submitted on or after July 1, 2008, include inspections of selected materials, equipment, installation, fabrication, erection or placement of components and connections; these inspections confirm compliance with approved construction documents and referenced standards required by NYC Building Code Chapter 17 and elsewhere in the Building Code or its referenced standards.
- Accredited under the requirements as set forth in NYC Building Code Section (c)(3) of 1 RCNY 101-06, AK Engineering’s Special Inspection and Progress Inspection services are expertly conducted during the construction process to verify that work is being done in accordance with approved plans and specifications.
- Such inspections are mandated by law and may only be performed by Special Inspectors on behalf of a Special Inspection Agency, such as AK Engineering.
WHY IS IAS-ACCREDITATION IMPORTANT TO YOU?
- NYC Department of Buildings Rules 1RCNY 101-06 and 101-07, with an applicable cross-reference to the 2008 NYC Construction Code, stipulate that Special Inspection agencies are required to demonstrate accreditation by International Accreditation Service, Inc. (IAS) or an equivalent accreditation body for all Class I projects.
- The International Accreditation Service (IAS) provides objective evidence that an organization, such as AK Engineering operates at the highest level of ethical, legal and technical standards.
- AK Engineering provides a complete spectrum of Special- and Progress-Inspection services, helping clients fulfill New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) regulations within an expansive array of categories.
- Inspections are performed by AK Engineering during various stages of construction, addressing each specific project’s needs and ensuring that every regulated component of an installation satisfies DOB requirements. AK Engineering is authorized to sign TR 1 forms for inspections as required by law in New York.
- DOB-approved AK Engineering can help guide you through the regulatory process and will provide the Special Inspections and Progress Inspections you require in order to ensure compliance.
TYPES OF SPECIAL INSPECTIONS
- Fire Alarm Test
- Photoluminescent Exit Path Markings
- Emergency Power Systems (Generators)
- Structural Steel: Erection And Bolting
- Structural Cold-Formed Steel
- Concrete: Cast-In-Place
- Concrete: Precast
- Soils – Site Preparation
- Soils – Fill Placement and In-Place Density
- Wall Panels, Curtain Walls, and Veneers
- Sprayed Fire-Resistant Materials
- Exterior Insulation Finish Systems (EIFS)
- Smoke Control Systems
- Mechanical Systems
- Fuel-Oil Storage and Fuel-Oil Piping Systems
- Structural Safety, Structural Stability
- Mechanical Demolition
- Site Storm Drainage Disposal and Detention System Installation
- Sprinkler Systems
- Standpipe Systems
- Heating Systems
- Firestop, Draftstop, and Fireblock Systems
- Seismic Isolation Systems
TYPES OF PROGRESS INSPECTIONS
- Footing and Foundation
- Lowest Floor Elevation
- Frame Inspection
- Energy Code Compliance Inspections
- Fire Resistance Rated Construction
- Public Assembly Emergency Lighting
- Final Inspection
AK Engineering further addresses the needs of clients by regularly eliminating the need to shop elsewhere when additional types of inspections are required. By working in tandem with qualified and experienced subcontractors with specialties other than our own, the company seamlessly provides such additional inspection types as:
- Flood Zone Compliance
- Structural Steel: Welding
- Concrete: Prestressed
- Wood: Off-Site fabrication of Structural Elements
- Wood: Installation of High-Load Diaphragms
- Wood: Installation of Metal-Plate-Connected Trusses
- Wood: Installation of Prefabricated I-Joists
- Soils: Investigations (Borings/Test Pits)
- Pile Foundations and Drilled Pier Installation
- Pier Foundations
- Alternative Materials
- High Pressure Steam Piping (Welding)
- Fuel-Gas Piping (Welding)
- Mechanical Demolition
- Excavation, Sheeting, Shoring and Bracing
- Soil Percolation Test: Drywell/Septic
- Concrete Test Cylinders